Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Macaroni Salad


This is how gramma made it:

(all measurements are approximate. Sorry! Gramma didn't measure nor do I)

Ingredients:

1 lb Mueller's elbow noodles
1/3 c onion minced
1/2 c chopped celery
2 cans tuna in oil drained
Miracle whip (approx 3 cups?)
1 tbs yellow mustard
salt & pepper to taste
paprika

Cook noodles until al dente. drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
combine all ingredients except paprika. You want to use enough miracle whip to coat everything, and then add another cup. It will absorb into the pasta. Otherwise the salad will be dry.
Sprinkle finished salad with paprika
Refrigerate covered for at least 3 hours before serving

My grandmother used eggs in the salad, but I didn't last time and it was still excellent. If you want to use them you need to hard boil 6 eggs. 4 should be chopped and added to the salad. the other 2 should be quartered length wise and placed like spokes on top of the salad and then sprinkled with paprika. I have also added black olives and had favorable reviews. My mother likes to add green olives, which I find disgusting!


No comments:

Post a Comment